John 6:38-39 - All that He has given Me I will not lose

Does John 6:38-39 have conditions?


John 6:38: "Because I-have-come-down from heaven not in-order-that I-may-be-doing My will, but the will of the (One) having-sent Me."

John 6:39: "And this is the will (of) the (One) having-sent Me: that (as to) all that HE-HAS-GIVEN (to) Me, I-WILL NOT LOSE (anything) from it, but I-will-raise it up in the last day."



Absence of STATED condition does not mean absence of condition:

Jesus said about the Father: "all that HE-HAS-GIVEN (to) Me, I-WILL NOT LOSE (anything) from it" (John 6:39). 

There is no stated condition in this verse. Yet in the Bible, absence of STATED condition does not necessitate the absence of a condition. 

For example, if there is only one condition stated in a verse, it does not preclude that there can be other conditions specified in other passages that can apply. 

For more information:
Absence of stated condition does not necessitate the absence of a condition:
Click here


I will not lose:

Jesus said about the Father: "all that HE-HAS-GIVEN (to) Me, I-WILL NOT LOSE (anything) from it" (John 6:39). 

Jesus made an absolute statement here, without stating any exception. Yet, several chapters later it is written:

Jesus goes on by saying: "when I-was with them, I was-keeping them in Your name which YOU-HAVE-GIVEN (to) Me. And I-guarded (them), and NONE OF THEM PERISHED EXCEPT THE SON (OF) DESTRUCTION, in-order-that the Scripture might-be-fulfilled" (John 17:12).

So the initial statement by Jesus that "all that HE-HAS-GIVEN (to) Me, I-WILL NOT LOSE (anything) from it" (John 6:39) could allow for exceptions. 

The language of "NONE [oudeis 3762 in Greek] of them perished — EXCEPT [ei 1487 & mé 3361 in Greek] [...]" (John 17:12) suggests that Jesus actually did end up losing one (who thus perished), as the same language was used by Paul (to indicate how Paul actually did end up baptizing people), as Paul wrote: "I-give-thanks (to) God that I-baptized NONE [oudeis 3762 in Greek] (of) you, EXCEPT [ei 1487 & mé 3361 in Greek] Crispus and Gaius" (1 Corinthians 1:14).


↺ Click here to return to the Table of Contents.

Comments

Popular Posts